Many believe that its taste is not only very good, but also has an anti-inflammatory effect. But is this true? And why is this home remedy so good for the common cold?
Does coughing and runny nose stop you from working? Chicken soup can work wonders when you catch a cold. Not only does it taste very good, but it also has an anti-inflammatory effect. With its components, it has a positive effect on a variety of processes in the body and thus promotes health.
Chicken soup for colds has anti-inflammatory effect
Fresh chicken soup ingredients can be used to fight infections in the upper respiratory tract. Scientists from the University of Nebraska, USA, found that the ingredients in the meal suppress white blood cells (neutrophils), which are essential for cold and inflammatory processes. White blood cells migrate to the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract during an infection (influenza-like).
By eating chicken soup when you have a cold, you cause the nasal mucous membranes to decongest. In addition, healthy soup supplies the body with important liquid substances such as vitamins, zinc and iron, with which you strengthen your immune system and recover faster. Feel free to pick up the hot plate of chicken soup and inhale the fumes. This way you can clear your nose of mucus and breathe more freely again.
In addition, warm foods and drinks promote blood circulation. This, in turn, allows immune cells to get to the virus faster. Positive effect: phlegm dissolves and cold symptoms decrease.
Do it yourself recipe
Just make yourself a healthy chicken soup for cold symptoms.
- 1 chicken soup (about 2 to 2.5 kg)
- 1 handful of vegetable soup with parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots
- Noodle or rice soup
- salt pepper
- Optional of frozen peas, broccoli or asparagus
Clean the chicken by removing the feathers, tail oil glands, and other inedible parts. If you don’t do this, the chicken soup may taste better.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Put the chicken in the pot with its guts. It should be completely covered with water.
- Close the lid of the pot and let it simmer for two hours.
- Remove the foam from time to time so that the soup does not become sour.
- Now clean the soup greens and cut them into one-centimeter cubes. Describe the onions.
- Remove the chicken from the soup as soon as the meat is done.
Tip: if the finger joints come out of the chicken, then the meat is done.
- Now we put the vegetables in the saucepan with pepper, half an onion with the peel, parsley stalks and bay leaf.
- Now let everything simmer over low heat for a few minutes on low heat until the vegetables are cooked. Do not close the lid completely so that steam does not accumulate in the pot.
- Separate the chicken meat from the bones. Cut it into small sized pieces.
- Pour the broth through a fine sieve and then take care of the companion.
- Peel and chop the carrots and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, and the pasta for 3 minutes. Now add the frozen peas and season with salt and pepper.
You can actually enjoy healthy chicken soup when you catch a cold.