Chicken soup is the perfect meal during cold and flu season. Not only does it taste homemade, it’s also healthier than the canned version. With a trick, the preparation does not take all that time.
The most important things at a glance
Chicken soup or broth is especially useful during the cold season. This is not only due to the feeling of warmth. Broth contains many components that can strengthen the immune system. These include easily digestible proteins and zinc. Chicken meat is also rich in vitamin A.
Recipe: Quick Chicken Soup
This recipe only takes about 50 minutes to prepare. The trick: Instead of whole chicken soup, use chicken thighs. Another time-saving tip: You can easily peel vegetables using a vegetable peeler.
- 100 grams smoked meat
- 200 grams of onions
- 200 grams of potatoes
- 250 grams carrots
- 200 gm celery
- 300 grams of shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 600 grams chicken thighs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 liters of vegetable broth
- 200g tagliatelle
- Parsley for serving
- salt pepper
- Cut smoked meat, peeled onions and celery into cubes. Peel the potatoes and carrots and cut them into small pieces. Wash the celery and leeks and also cut them into small pieces.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and fry the chopped onions and smoked meat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add the chicken thighs and fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the chopped vegetables and bay leaves and fill them with vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then remove the chicken thighs from the pot and let them cool. Put the tagliatelle in the saucepan and let the soup simmer over low heat, covered, for ten minutes.
- Now remove the skin and meat from the chicken thighs – you can see how this works best in the video above.
- Place the meat pieces back in the pot and season the soup with salt and pepper. Then chop the parsley and sprinkle over the soup before serving.
This chicken noodle soup recipe is from the Kitchen Stories cooking app. The chefs make their videos available exclusively to t-online.de – making cooking and baking a child’s play.
Recipe: Chicken Soup with Whole Chicken Soup
- 1 chicken soup (about 2 to 2.5 kg)
- 1 handful of vegetable soup with parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots
- Noodle or rice soup
- salt pepper
- Optional of frozen peas, broccoli or asparagus
- Remove any attached feathers from the chicken. This works best with tweezers. Clean the chicken afterwards.
- Put cold, salted water in a large enough pot and bring to a boil. The amount of water you need depends on the size of the chicken and the bowl. At least the chicken should be completely covered with water in the pot.
- Then put chicken soup and giblets in boiling water. Close the lid of the pot and turn off the heat. Cover the chicken and simmer over medium heat for 2 to 2.5 hours.
- While the soup is boiling, wash and chop the soup vegetables. After cooking, remove the chicken from the soup and let it cool slightly. Tip: The meat is cooked when it moves away from the thigh bone.
- Now add the vegetables to the broth and continue to boil until the vegetables are tender.
- If desired, you can cook 200 grams of thin noodle soup in the soup. The rice also tastes good with chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, peel the chicken and separate the meat from the bones. Cut the skin and meat into bite-size pieces and return to the broth. Serve chicken soup with washed chopped parsley.
If you don’t add the whole chicken to the broth, you can use the rest of the meat Hühnerfrikassee cooks.
What meat is suitable for chicken soup?
The basis of chicken soup is fresh chicken soup. Preferably this should come from a farmer or butcher so you know where it came from and how it was fed. This ensures the quality of the meat. Chicken from the supermarket is often not tasty and often has less meat.
Alternatively, you can use chicken thighs or chicken pieces to cook the broth.
Cooking frozen chicken soup
If you do not have fresh chicken on hand, you can also use frozen chicken soup. Here, however, the cooking time is extended by up to an hour. You can also tell if the chicken is done by simply removing the meat from the bone.
Pressure cooker chicken soup
If you have a pressure cooker, you can also use it to make chicken soup. Put chicken soup, chopped vegetable stew with water and a little salt in the saucepan. Close the lid and bring everything to a boil until there is steam or pressure on the pot. Now lower the temperature a little and let everything simmer for another 30 minutes. Then remove the pot from the stove. After about 30 minutes the chicken will be cooked.