In general, legumes are considered nutritious and healthy. But does this also apply to lenses? Can lentils be eaten at all during pregnancy? After all, it can definitely have a bulging effect. We’ve compiled everything you need to know about this topic below.
1. The most important things at a glance
- During pregnancy, the lenses are mainly due to valuable nutrients (such as folic acid) is recommended.
- However, lenses must Do not eat rawBut it’s always peeled first, soaked, and then cooked.
- Because the lenses are like poor May apply, in large quantities as well Abdominal bloating or pain to lead.
- Lentils out of the box precooked So it is allowed Eat hot and cold will.
- There is nothing fundamentally wrong with heating lenses during pregnancy.
2. Can I eat lentils during pregnancy?
Absolutely! Lentils are very healthy for pregnant women. Because legumes, for example, are rich in it Folic acidIt is recommended to take if you are planning to have children as well as during pregnancy Maintaining the health of the child It plays an important role. At the same time, lenses offer a lot protein (necessary for building muscle) as well iron (supports blood formation). It also contains many minerals such as magnesium And the zinc. The higher level also ensures good blood circulation potassium content, And the Vitamin C Supports the immune system. So you can eat all kinds of lentils without hesitation – whether it’s red, yellow, brown, green, beluga or bardina lentils.
What about canned lentils?
You can also eat canned lentils during pregnancy – both cold and warm. Because legumes usually precookedso that it is no longer necessary to explicitly heat it.
Can I eat sprouted lentils during pregnancy?
No. In general, there is nothing wrong with eating cabbage during pregnancy. However, just like bean sprouts, you should not eat sprouted lentils raw Make sure to cook. This is the only way you can be sure that it does not contain any pathogens that could be dangerous to you and your baby.
I like to eat lentil chips during pregnancy – is that possible?
on the principle chips during pregnancy Of course it is not forbidden. However, it should not be eaten in large quantities, but only in moderation. This also applies to lentil chips. Because the popular snack has one high fat contentMany of salt And often too acrylamide. The latter occurs when food is heated to high temperatures. Experts consider acrylamide to be a problem and suspect it to be a carcinogen.
So lentils are allowed during pregnancy – but which foods are actually prohibited? Our free guide 125 types of foods to avoid during pregnancy Tells you.
3. Are raw lentils dangerous during pregnancy?
Whether pregnant or not: Lentils should not be eaten raw. Instead, legumes should be cooked before consumption. Even a simple soaking is usually not enough for lentils. This is because heating can toxins Shattered lenses. This includes, among other things, Physicin Protein, which are also found in beans, so they also need to be cooked thoroughly. However, there are no spoilers in peas, so they can generally be eaten raw. If the phase is absorbed by the body, this can often increase Severe symptoms of poisoning to lead.
advice: Before cooking, lentils must be peeled and soaked. Except for yellow and red lentils. They are already peeled and will fall apart when cooked.
4. Can I heat lentils if I am pregnant?
It is not yet known why lenses should not be heated during pregnancy. So yes, you can heat up lentil soup from the day before during pregnancy. The only important thing is to eat lentils Fully heated.
5. Do lentils cause abdominal pain and bloating during pregnancy?
In fact, lentils (like other legumes) are one of them hard to digest Foods that can cause bloating and abdominal pain. This is mostly the case when Lentils are eaten in large quantities will. In order to prevent flatulence or abdominal pain during pregnancy from lentils, you should not eat too many legumes. It is best to experiment with how your body reacts to lentils with a small portion.
In addition, when eating foods rich in fiber, you should Sufficient fluid supply Ensure that the dietary fiber in the digestive tract contains enough water to swell.
6. The lenses are suitable for gestational diabetes
Lenses are highly recommended for diabetics and mothers with gestational diabetes. Because legumes have one High in fiber. This ensures that dietary fiber enters the blood relatively slowly. in addition to The blood sugar level rises only slightlyWhat about that High in protein of lenses.
7. A delicious recipe: prepare lentils during pregnancy
There are many delicious recipes with lentils that are great for pregnancy. We got our inspiration from essen-fuer-zwei.de and that’s cool Swiss curry with lentils have found:
You need this for two meals:
- 75 g lenses
- 125 grams wild rice
- 200 grams sweet potato
- 300 gr chard
- Half an onion
- One clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 100 ml Water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- small spoon red curry paste
How to prepare lentil curry:
- wash them lenses Meticulously and prepare this in addition to wild rice According to package instructions.
- So an onion And the garlic Peel and then cut the dice.
- heat it oil (Rapeseed oil is preferred) In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes, until they are translucent.
- The next step is to peel them off sweet potato Cut it into small cubes and put it in the pan over a low heat for five minutes.
- Now he will do chard washed.
- Then remove the stems from the leaves and cut them into 1.5 cm pieces.
- Now add the chard to the pan and fry for three to four minutes.
- Then add water and let it boil for a while.
- The coconut milk along with red curry paste Add and simmer for five minutes.
- Let everything simmer for another five to ten minutes with the lid closed.
- Finally add the lentils, season to taste and serve with wild rice. enjoy your meal!
The content of this text has been checked by Dietitian Lydia Wilkins. Environmental science graduate 14 years of experience in nutritional communication and counseling. As a mother of two, one of her main areas of focus is EssenZ التغذية Nutrition TeamAnd the Dr. Heike Niemeier in Hamburg and food school In nutritional counseling and therapy for families and children.
It also drives Nutrition projects for children, parents and multiples in nurseries and schools Across. As an expert in all aspects of mother and child nutrition, she supports the editors of Echte Mamas with practical expertise.
Crunchy fruits and vegetables are valuable sources of nutrients for you and your baby – so take a look here:
You can also get more advice on the topic “Nutrition during pregnancy” here »
If you want to share ideas with other moms about it, just come to our closed one Facebook group: “We are real mothers – questions and answers”!